Huomenna and Huomiseksi

Last night I asked hubby about this sentence:

Tilaan liput huomiseksi.

Tilaan = I order (the dictionary form of the word is "tilata")

Liput = tickets (the dictionary form of the word is "lippu")

I was wondering what was the difference between huomenna and huomiseksi.

Turns out that huomiseksi means "for tomorrow's (show, opera, concert, etc.)", whereas huomenna simply means "tomorrow".

So if I say:

"Tilaan liput huomenna." ---> It simply means that I'll order the tickets tomorrow, but it's not clear whether I'll buy the tickets for which day of the show.

Now this is the breakdown of the word "tilata"

Present Tense:

Minä tilaan ----> Minä en tilaa
Sinä tilaat ----> Sinä et tilaa
Hän tilaa ----> Hän ei tilaa
Me tilaamme ----> Me emme tilaa
Te tilaatte ----> Te ette tilaa
He tilaavat ----> He eivät tilaa

Past Tense:

Minä tilasin
----> Minä en tilannut
Sinä tilasit
----> Sinä et tilannut
Hän tilasi
----> Hän ei tilannut
Me tilasimme
----> Me emme tilanneet
Te tilasitte
----> Te ette tilanneet
He tilasivat
----> He eivät tilanneet

If you use the negative form of the sentence, the object must ALWAYS be in partitive form.

For example let's use the object "uusi sohva":

a. Tilasin uuden sohvan kaupasta. ("I ordered a new sofa from the store". Here I use the -n ending 'coz the sofa is only one and it's a countable noun)

b. En tilannut uutta sohvaa kaupasta. ("I didn't order a new sofa from the store". Here I use the partitive form of "uusi sohva")

c. Hän tilaa kaksi uutta sohvaa. ("He orders two new sofas". If you use a number more than one in front of the object, then you should use the partitive form again)


Hmmm...since partitive is such a crazy topic to deal with, maybe I should write down separate posts to describe it completely. Okay, I'll end this here then.

0 comments: